Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
Life is full of learning experiences hidden among the humorous, dull, extraordinary, established events of our lives. The trick is finding the profound within the background.
I hit on some truth a while back attempting a routine conversation with my family. I was playing with the idea that a change in a personal aspiration of mine resulted in a crisis of identity. The actual subject was silly and didn't affect my life, but later as I was recounting the idea I realized that, in a real situation, it had the potential of being completely true.
An unknown author wrote,
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny
What about dreams? Not the adventurous stories you tell your self while sleeping, but your loftiest goals and secret hopes. The things you come up with when you indulgently give yourself no boundaries. Some of these you share with others and some you keep to yourself, either way aren't they a caricature of who you are? Isn't a part of who you are reveled when you share these aspirations?
I have experienced many changes in dreams. Sometimes, it is said, one door closes and other opens. Much like a college student changing majors people tend to change what they want in life. If you ask a six year old what they want to be when they grow up, you will receive many answers like, "a fireman!" or "a doctor!" I used know I would be a veterinarian someday.
I would hate to be a veterinarian.
But when I was six I loved animals with a burning passion that worried even my parents as I proceeded to collect the most ridiculous stuffed animal collection possible. My dream showed a facet of my personality.
Sometimes people who have had some years to cultivate their desires change passions and reveal a side of themselves maybe no one knew existed. My father once decided to fly model planes. As I child I thought this was absurd because I had never seen this part of him before. Later in life he started making beautiful wooden pens, bowls, and furniture in our garage. If asked I couldn't have told you he had been hoping to try this hobby. He has done this frequently over the years, from buying his dream car to joining a barbershop quartet. Watching him change and pursue his dreams has allowed me to learn more about him than if he had never tried to accomplish anything he wished to do.
And maybe he was learning too.
Looking back, I have questions. Were these dreams really new and changing? Did he have them all along?
Does my changing my dreams result in changing my identity?
I have experienced many changes in dreams. Sometimes, it is said, one door closes and other opens. Much like a college student changing majors people tend to change what they want in life. If you ask a six year old what they want to be when they grow up, you will receive many answers like, "a fireman!" or "a doctor!" I used know I would be a veterinarian someday.
I would hate to be a veterinarian.
But when I was six I loved animals with a burning passion that worried even my parents as I proceeded to collect the most ridiculous stuffed animal collection possible. My dream showed a facet of my personality.
Sometimes people who have had some years to cultivate their desires change passions and reveal a side of themselves maybe no one knew existed. My father once decided to fly model planes. As I child I thought this was absurd because I had never seen this part of him before. Later in life he started making beautiful wooden pens, bowls, and furniture in our garage. If asked I couldn't have told you he had been hoping to try this hobby. He has done this frequently over the years, from buying his dream car to joining a barbershop quartet. Watching him change and pursue his dreams has allowed me to learn more about him than if he had never tried to accomplish anything he wished to do.
And maybe he was learning too.
Looking back, I have questions. Were these dreams really new and changing? Did he have them all along?
Does my changing my dreams result in changing my identity?
Sophomore year in high school Mr. John Doherty changed my life by introducing me to science. After that class my dream became Marine Biology and so many parts of my personality changed. I used to mildly appreciate the ocean and the beauty of life there, Finding Nemo was a favorite movie of mine. After chaining my passion to Marine Biology I started to love the ocean and everything in it. I looked into Marine Biology schools and read Wikipedia articles about all sorts of crazy stuff under the surf. Like a girl smitten with love writing her fantasy name over and over, I couldn't stop drawing coral reefs on every scrap of paper available. Reflecting on this stage of life I believe my dream changed my identity by adding to it and revealed to myself a little of who I am.
So at least in my case changing what I wish for has affected who I am. Even thought I have moved to a new dream (and a new major), my past stays with me. I still like stuffed animals, I still love drawing sea life, and my favorite animal remains the majestic sea turtle. Since I am only one person I can't vouch for the world, but I think there is some truth that dreams become part of who you are and changing them changes you. And just maybe, its the other way around.
Maybe who you grow to be changes who you want to be.
So friends, watch your dreams for they could have the power to define you

Hah you my dear sister have inspired me not only with your words but with your most excellent taste in music! Castle in the Sky music tugged my musical heart. Also I might actually start writing my crazy college story again. Fostenheimer may actually make an appearance again :)
ReplyDeleteYou have great insight. I believe you have hit the nail on the head. We all grow and change as we discover ourselves. And, we sometimes reach back and pick up pieces we thought we had left behind, like an instrument we were sure we no longer wanted to play. We are but a collection of experiences and, yes, dreams. Never stop dreaming and reaching for something new, while clinging to those things you know.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the music!
ReplyDelete